IT’S HERE! After much waiting, and a lot of fanfare and excitement, the brand new Disney+ platform has arrived and it is nothing short of magnificent!
Disney+, the highly anticipated streaming service from The Walt Disney Company, launched today in Australia and New Zealand. With over 600 films and 7,000 episodes of television from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic, and more, Disney+ is the exclusive home for some of the world’s most beloved stories as well as a robust slate of original content ready to be discovered.
“The launch of Disney+ is a historic moment for our company that marks a new era of innovation and creativity,” said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, The Walt Disney Company. “Disney+ provides an exceptional entertainment experience, showcasing our library of beloved movies, TV series and exclusive original content from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars and National Geographic.”
The Disney+ offers subscribers high-quality and commercial-free viewing, up to four concurrent streams, unlimited downloads on up to ten devices, personalised recommendations, and the ability to set up to seven different profiles.
An amazing array of new and classic content is on display and includes the likes of:
- The Mandalorian – The first ever live-action Star Wars adaptation from creators Jon Favreau and starring Pedro Pascal as a nameless bounty hunter searching out the edges of the cosmos for the galaxy’s most deadliest villains.
- Lady and the Tramp – A live-action re-telling of the 1955 animated classic starring the voices of Justin Theroux and
- Noelle – An original holiday comedy film starring Anna Kendrick
- High School Musical: The Musical: The Series – The all-new scripted series set at the real-life East High featured in the blockbuster film franchise.
- Marvel’s Hero Project – Which celebrates extraordinary kids making a difference in their communities.
- Encore! – A new show executive produced by the multi-talented Kristen Bell
- The Imagineering Story – A six-part documentary from Emmy and Academy Award-nominated director Leslie Iwerks about the creation of Disneyland.
Beginning today, subscribers can enjoy:
- Timeless animated films from Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Walt Disney Signature Collection, created or inspired by the imagination and legacy of Walt Disney – including Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Beauty and the Beast, Pinocchio, Bambi, The Lion King, Lady and The Tramp, Peter Pan, The Little Mermaid,” “Cinderella” and more.
- Three of the four highest-grossing films of all time: Avengers: Endgame, Avatar, and Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- Twenty-nine seasons of the 11-time Emmy Award-winning series The Simpsons.
- Hit films from Marvel Studios, including Avengers: Endgame, as well as Captain America: Civil War, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Avengers, Iron Man 3, Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Captain Marvel, Iron Man, Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Iron Man 2, Thor, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Captain America: The First Avenger, Avengers: Infinity War, Ant-Man, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Thor: Ragnarok (AU Only) and Black Panther.
- Thousands of episodes from hit Disney Channel and Disney Junior series such as The Suite Life of Zack & Cody, Kim Possible, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, and Jake and the Never Land Pirates along with more than 100 Disney Channel Original Movies including Descendants, High School Musical, and Camp Rock.
- 20 (AU) / 18 (NZ) of Pixar Animation Studios’ groundbreaking fan favourite movies including Wall-E, Up, Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Toy Story, Inside Out and Brave, as well as all of Pixar’s beloved theatrical shorts such as the Academy Award-winning Bao and Sanjay’s Super Team.
- More than 400 episodes and features from National Geographic, including the critically-acclaimed and award-winning documentary Free Solo and Science Fair.
- All six of the original classic Star Wars films released between 1977-2005, in addition to recent blockbusters Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and Solo. By the end of 2020, the entire Skywalker saga will be available on the service.
- Marvel television series from the 1970s to present day including X-Men and Spider-Man.
Kiwis can stream all Disney+ has to offer for one low monthly or annual fee – $9.99NZD/month or $99.99NZD/year, and can subscribe to Disney+ directly at DisneyPlus.com or via in-app purchase.
Disney+ is a momentous occassion for film fans and the wonderful world of Disney and it’s a brand and service you’ll most definitely want to get in on.
Image: Walt Disney Pictures