Gods. Kings. Fire. Blood.
In terms of celebrated fantasy television events, they don’t come much bigger than HBO’s Game of Thrones which enthralled audiences for eight seasons and changed the opinions of many on what fantasy storytelling could be, along with starting a renaissance of new shows set within the genre.
Now HBO is set to take audiences back to George R.R. Martin’s Westeros in House of the Dragon, a prequel series that will follow the dragon kings of the House of Targaryen 200 years before the events of Game of Thrones, and this new teaser trailer promises plenty of epicness to come.
Watch the new teaser trailer below:
This first teaser trailer gives audiences a fantastic first look at the series, which looks cinematic in its quality thanks to its rich visuals and will take us back to an age where the Targaryen dynasty was at the height of its powers. Knights clash, and lady’s hold court, while the machinations of a dangerous power structure work behind the scenes and fans of Game of Thrones will be in for plenty of excitement thanks to House of the Dragon.
The series also has a packed-out cast of characters which includes:
- Paddy Considine as King Viserys I Targaryen: The King of the Seven Kingdoms. Known as “a warm, kind and decent man,” Viserys was chosen by a council of lords to succeed Jaehaerys Targaryen as king.
- Emma D’Arcy as Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen: Viserys’s firstborn child. She is a dragonrider who expects to become the Seven Kingdoms’ first ruling queen.
- Olivia Cooke as Queen Alicent Hightower: the daughter of Otto Hightower, raised in the Red Keep and part of the king’s inner circle. Known as the most comely woman in the Seven Kingdoms.
- Matt Smith as Prince Daemon Targaryen: A peerless warrior and dragonrider, Rhaenyra’s uncle, and Viserys’s younger brother.
- Rhys Ifans as Ser Otto Hightower: Alicent’s father, the Hand of the King, who serves Viserys and the realm. He is a political rival of Prince Daemon.
- Steve Toussaint as Lord Corlys Velaryon: Known as the “Sea Snake”, he is the lord of House Velaryon and the most famous seafarer in Westerosi history.
- Eve Best as Princess Rhaenys Velaryon: A dragonrider and wife of Lord Corlys. Known as the “Queen Who Never Was,” she was once a candidate to succeed Old King Jaehaerys as ruler of the Seven Kingdoms, but was passed over in favor of her cousin Viserys.
- Sonoya Mizuno as Mysaria: A foreign-born dancing girl who rose to become Daemon’s most trusted ally.
- Fabien Frankel as Ser Criston Cole: A skilled swordsman of Dornish descent, he is the common-born son of the steward to the Lord of Blackhaven.
- Graham McTavish as Ser Harrold Westerling: A member of the Kingsguard who has served since King Jaehaerys, he was once a powerful knight. He is tasked with watching over and protecting Princess Rhaenyra.
- Ryan Corr as Ser Harwin Strong: The eldest son to Master of Laws Lyonel Strong and heir to Harrenhal. Known as “Breakbones”, he is said to be the strongest man in the Seven Kingdoms.
- Jefferson Hall as Lord Jason Lannister/Ser Tyland Lannister: Jason is the Lord of Casterly Rock, and his identical twin Tyland is a cunning politician.
- David Horovitch as Grand Maester Mellos: A trusted advisor to King Viserys.
- Matthew Needham as Larys Strong: The younger son of Master of Laws Lyonel Strong.
- Bill Paterson as Lord Lyman Beesbury: Lord of Honeyholt and Master of Coin on King Viserys’s small council.
- Gavin Spokes as Lord Lyonel Strong: Master of Laws to King Viserys and Lord of Harrenhal.
House of the Dragon is shaping up to be a truly new epic piece of fantasy television and I feel that audiences are going to be in for one hell of a rush thanks to this new series.
House of the Dragon is coming to SoHo and Neon in 2022.